Sunday, September 9, 2007

Dinner with the Interport Students

The great difference between voyages rests not with the ships, but with the people you meet on them. –Amelia E. Barr


The other night I had dinner with our Interport Students from Japan. Aki and Magumi met the boat in Hawaii, and they’re sailing with us to Japan o teach us a bit about their culture and to learn about us as well. As an ambassador, I was able to eat with them and get to know them a little better. Greg, Brian and I got together and had a great time with them.

After we got past a few language barriers, like explaining that sirloin is beef, and that some hotels are considered “love hotels” in Japan, we got to talking about some interesting stuff. They talked to us about interesting places to see in Japan, as well as their travels to the United States. Magumi had been to New York City once, and then to Hawaii for this trip, but that’s it. She told us she wanted to go see Wyoming.. we tried to discourage her from that idea considering there’s really nothing there to see. Magumi also told us she really wants to see cowboys and asked us where she could see those! She also seemed really surprised when we explained how big America was when she asked about traveling across the country. Japan is about half the size of Texas, for those who aren’t fantastic with their geography. She was really surprised when we told her it took several days to get from the East to West Coasts.

On the other hand, the girls were very well informed on other things. We talked about watching The OC and how cute Adam Brody is. They had also recently seen High School Musical and Magumi in particular thought Chad was cute. High School Musical 2 hasn’t been released there yet. Aki also had me practice a few important words for when I get to Japan. I can now say “hello,” “goodbye,” and “thank you.” Pretty cool!

After talking for a while, the girls showed us how to make paper cranes and fish, I have one they made for me in my room. It was really interesting to get to know the girls before we got to Japan. I can’t wait to spend time with the Interport students from the other countries we go to

7 comments:

jbranbs said...

Heyyy I used to know how to count to ten in Japanese!! Mrs. Gaydoz teaches you cool stuff. =] Ask the girls how you'd do that, cause I forget. And at least you got to talk about important stuff like HSM!!

I mean, it was only fish. But still. I don't eat anything with a face!!<3

laura said...

Wyoming is a nice place... and it DOES have cowboys and rodeos. Nice photo of the boys. Maybe they can get one of you next time. Meeting the girls is a great way to get excited about seeing and experiencing Japan!

Anonymous said...

Too bad the girls did not know the largest ranch in the USA is on the big island of Hawaii. They have lots of cowboys there. It is at a high elevation and can be very cold and windy. They even get snow!! Kurt was there on our trip. You saw what it is like in Hawaii, you can imagine how stange it is then to go to an area wear everyone is dressed in western wear. They even have shops full of that type of clothing. All this traveling will have you full of great ideas for the rest of us on traveling.
Hugs & Kisses, Grandma

Anonymous said...

Oh .... the name of the place is The Parker Ranch.
When the owner died he left these huge holdings to his employees.
G.

Unknown said...

Hi Kara! I am really enjoying reading your blogs. I love your travel quotes and will be using them in Brian's scrapbook when he returns. Thank you for posting the photo of Brian and Greg. It sounds like you are having a great time. Your MOM is doing the best job as BLOG MOM. Continue to have fun in Japan and be safe. Mom Thoma

Anonymous said...

Kara, have a great time L;ve been reading all of h eblogs and enjying hime a lot. stay well. I'm at your gandparents now ater having been at my 50h class reuninion last weekend. ART

Anonymous said...

Kara,
It appears you are having a real learning experience plus a marveleous time!
Best to you,
Glo Claus