Friday, September 7, 2007

My New Family

I have a new family on the ship! I signed up to be a part of the Extended Family program on the ship, so that I’d have some contact with the professors and the Life Long Learners as well as students here. I got assigned to a couple, Dr. Ruth and her husband, Jake. Today we met at lunch!

They are such cool people! Dr. Ruth is a cultural anthropologist and a professor on the ship. She’s lived in Singapore and Indonesia and lots of other places studying the people there. Jake used to work for the State Department in various departments and traveled all over the world, including Brazil, Thailand, and Latin America. This is their 3rd trip on Semester at Sea!

I’m so excited to get to know them better. They clearly love to travel, and have done a lot of it. Just from eating lunch with them today, they told me some great stories about getting visas and the Singapore village justice system. Hopefully I’ll see them again soon!

4 comments:

Patti said...

OK, this begs the obvious question....is Dr. Ruth's last name Westheimer? Flash back to the 80's.....could be "very interesting" lunch conversation!! I'm glad you have found a family. And it sounds like they will be quite helpful in the days ahead! love you...

laura said...

Say hello and thanks to your new family from the family at home. Sounds like you were paired up with just the right people! Do you have brothers and sisters too?
You're the best! Love you! Mom

Anonymous said...

No wonder you are excited. You have so much interest in both of the professions of your new parents. Your Mom sent me a note on joining your cruise as adults in either Hong Kong or Egypt. It sure is tempting but do not worry I would not do that to you but might on some other voyage. We are all glued to our computers for yur updates. Do you have anyone special that you hang with?
You are an amazing woman and we love you!
Grandma

Two of Us said...

We have been extended family parents more than once. We feel very close to them, even now, here at home. You are so lucky to have a ship family. Two weeks ago, in San Diego, we had a'family dinner' snack in our hotel room and there were 4 from the families and three others that we knew and loved, too.

Enjoy and tell Dr. Ruth and her husband Hi from another alum family.

Gretchen