Elephants!
I got to ride an elephant! And it was fantastic! If we had to end our trip tomorrow, I would go home happy to tell everyone that I had ridden a real Asian elephant and it was the best th
ing I’ve ever done.
We went to the Pattaya Elephant Village in Pattaya, about a 30-minute bus ride from the ship. When we got there, we were given the chance to look around first. A few of us wandered down to where the elephants were picketed and just watched them for a while. They’re huge, in case none of you have gotten to close. The smaller ones there were about 10 feet tall, with maybe 5-foot trunks. They were eating at the time, which was cool to watch. They practically inhale their food, they eat so much and very quickly. We were a little nervous to touch them at first, but we got up the nerve eventually and took turns petting them and getting our pictures taken for our disbelieving audiences back home.
When the show started, the announcer encouraged us to come down and feed and get to know the elephants better. I think I had 3 trunks on me at one time, they were very curious. I think that might have had more to do with
my friend holding bananas than to me, but I’ll take what I can get. Elephants have very rough, dry, and hard skin, a bit of a shock at first. Kind of like when you first hold a snake, it’s not quite what you expect. They’re also pretty hairy, something I’d never noticed before.
The elephants there were retired work elephants that used to be in the timber industry. They’re used there to haul and roll massive logs. Usually they use females, because the guys go into Musk for 3 months of the year and are pretty useless then for work. As part of the demonstration, they had the elephants haul huge logs and roll them around the demonstration ring. It was crazy how effortlessly they made it seem. And they’re very coordinated with those trunks rolling the big logs. They are really good at working together too. I was impressed.
But the best part had to have been when the let us ride them. A few people got to volunteer to ride the elephants into the pond to take a bath with them, which was hilarious to watch as
people tried to stay dry as their steed submerged herself. I chose to stay dry. Later, they invited us all to climb on and ride an elephant bareback. It’s weird at first, to pull yourself up by stepping on their legs and grabbing them, but we were assured they couldn’t feel it, they’re skin’s so thick. When you ride bareback on an elephant, you sit up on their shoulder blades, close to their neck, so it’s a very different ride than from a horse. I constantly felt off balance, and had to put my weight forward onto my hands resting on her head. But I stayed on, and it was soooo amazing to be up so high and on such a large animal! Later, th
ey put baskets on the backs of the elephants and 2 of us rode at the same time. Ashley and I had such a good time, snapping pictures and just being amazed that we were in Thailand on the back of an elephant!
This is why I travel, to do the things no one else will do and have memories for the rest of my life.
"We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open." -- Jawaharlal Nehru
12 comments:
What Fun!! I LOVE the pictures...they are priceless!! The swimming elephants are too cool. Yah, your pretty much the only one in Zelie who will have ridden an elephant in Thailand ;)
Keep on adventurin', but steer clear of pirates!!!
love you, aunt patti
What a great day!! This is my kind of fun. I think I would be one of the ones riding them into the water. Then I would be the one that fell off too! Your smile is worth a million dollars. Now on to the camels in Egypt.
See which one you like the best. I think it will be a tie. How can you choose from two magnifesent beasts.
Grandma
From the disbelieving audience at home... I believe! I believe you have the biggest smile I've seen on your face in a long time. The giraffes are getting jealous. They thought they had all your love. Now the elephants are moving in for their piece of the pie! Did you find an elephant charm? or ring? (Please don't bring one home...)
Love you! Mom
That's SO cool. I want to ride an elephant. I would've felt like Aladdin. =]
A friend of mine always wore a bracelet woven from elephant hair; said it was given to him for good luck and he treated it as a cherished gift. Maybe you can get one.
I think Jill has mixed her metaphors. Alladin didn't ride an elephant, he wore a rug.
GO KARA!!
Papa
The elephant pictures are awesome. I love reading about your trip; I can't wait to read more!
~Jennifer
Your blog should be "Kara's Most Excellent Adventure". It was so good to see pictures of you - can't wait to hear about more wonderful things to come. YOU GO GIRL!
Mrs. P
Not mixed. In the parade when he was a fake prince, Aladdin rode an elephant.
Oh how lucky you are!!! We are so living vicariously through your blog and your pictures!! Same ol' here - you're not missing much! As much as you look forward to comments from home, we log on to look for a new listing from you! Hope you can bring in your stories and pictures once you return to this little town!! Keep enjoying yourself!!!
Gwen
Haven't seen a smile that big in ages! What a great time! Your pictures are so cool! Everyone out west sends their love and are enjoying your adventures. I'm reading them to Grandma Loree as she recovers. She LOVES the smiles!
Take care and have a smooth trip through the Straights!
Dad
I really enjoyed your writing about the elephants! So amazing that you experienced that! They must be gentle giants. Hope you are enjoying all of your experiences. I know Greg is. Loved the picture of you on his blog.
Have fun exploring.
Carol (gregs mom)
Thanks you so much for all your blogging.
My daughter is also on this SAS voyage and when I have not heard from her in awhile it is so wonderful to read your blog and know a bit about what she may be doing and experiencing. I like all the details you share too! What an amazing adventure...
Post a Comment