Thursday, October 18, 2007

I wish my life was a Bollywood movie

India is a study in contrasts. My homestay family was upper middle class, with a driver, 2 story apartment, 3 cars, cleaning lady, and laundry woman. A block away, there were people sitting out on the street begging for dinner. It’s hard to hold it all together in your head.

For starters, we were in Chennai India, which is not really north or south India, so there’s a lot of both in the culture and customs of the area. It’s hot though, over 90 degrees every day that we’ve been here. And it’s dirty. Much more polluted than Beijing, and a lot dirtier. My lungs have been hurting from walking around in the city all day. There are rickshaws everywhere, which will take you to anywhere you want to go, you have to make sure you bargain down to a reasonable price. We had to watch though, because the drivers would make these unexpected stops at little shops of their friends in the hope that we would patron there, in exchange for a shirt or something from the owner. We had to be very vocal in our opposition to these stops.

I decided for India, I’d go on a homestay with SAS, because it was highly recommended by all. We stayed with Rotary Club members in the Chennai area; I stayed with the Bhatts, a wonderful family. The parents work in PR, and their 2 daughters are my age, both were SAS interport students. Their apartment is beautiful! Mary and I had so much fun there, eating really spicy Indian food, teaching Beatrice and Pooja to French braid, and trying to stay cool in the evening.

We had to attend several Rotarian functions, including a luncheon and a Rotary meeting. They were interesting; I learned a lot about what the Rotarians do, which is all centered on service. In the Chennai area, they have assisted in tsunami relief by building new homes and community buildings, as well as running a boys town center for poor local boys to get a leg up.

The first night, our family took Mary and I shopping, and then out to the Nine Days Festival. Its this big festival celebrating a victory way back in the day. Every night of the festival, this big hall is opened up for dancing until 3 in the morning. We got all dressed up and went dancing! Dancing with Indians is a lot of fun; dances are circle dances, where everyone does the same move. It took us a while to catch on, but once we did, it was fantastic! The 10 of so or us who were there even got recognized by the judges for coming, one girl got a special prize!

Our second day was spent site seeing around Chennai with all the SAS kids. We went out to Mallapuman, which is this area of 8th century temples, which were carved from a single stone. They are huge! I don’t know how people that early were able to make carvings so magnificent. While we were at the sites, we were surrounded by street urchins trying to sell us souvenirs. It was so hard to turn away from them, especially the little kids. They told us that most of the kids worked for someone else, and don’t get most of the money. I did buy a few postcards though.

Our next stop was one of the Rotarians beach houses for lunch. We could see the ocean! And the cows on the beach! That was weird. The food was delicious, although EXTREMELY spicy. Our last stop was a rural village that had been rehabilitated by the Rotarians after the tsunamis. We talked a lot to our family about the tsunami and its effects on the people here. They said many people now avoid the beach since the tsunami. They'd never had one before in India, at least not in recent memory. The tide went out first near Chennai, and the phenomenon drew a ton of people to see what was going on, which was one of the reasons why the wave was so devastating to the area. Everyone was just standing at the waters edge when the wave came.

This morning was much more low key than the day before. We got to sleep in and then head to the office with Mrs. Bhatt. Then she sent us with the driver to the Chennai Museum of Art. It was pretty cool. Afterwards, Mary and I went over to Spencers Plaza for lunch a PIZZA HUT! It was amazing! Pepperoni Pizza! We were so happy, we could have cried. Then we did a little shopping for the folks back home before heading back to the office and then the ship.

India has been amazing. I want to come back and see so much more of it. Hopefully I’ll get to do that in the near future. I can’t wait to breathe easily though; this coughing thing is getting annoying.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kara
Your name should have been "Grace", because you are amazing.
I have met people from these countries and have some sensitivity to what you are saying, but you are LIVING with them.
Bless you and keep up the good work.
Papa

laura said...

Kara.. You make me laugh! :) You write such wonderful things about the country and its people and end with coughing! We thought we had challenges with cows in creeks around here but they have cows on the beach? Who knew?! I'm so glad you enjoyed your time in India! Wish I had been there to see you dance. Love you, Mom

jbranbs said...

Think Born Confused =]

Two of Us said...

We met those two gals who were the interport students on F04 and have a great picture of them taken in our cabin. Also, a nice gift from both of them.

Patti said...

Does the air smell like curry? It sounds like a caucaphony of sights, smells, sounds, etc. So glad to hear you enjoyed it, AND the spicy food. You are really branching out, hamburger girl!!! Hope you remember how to dance "Indian Style" to teach us later......
miss you, aunt patti

Anonymous said...

WE R STILL READING ALL ABOUT YOUR AMAZING ADVETURE AND LOVE ALL THE DETAILS. MISS YOU JTPD :)

Anonymous said...

I like the sparkly skirt you are wearing. Is it something you bought? Also I know it is you by the big toe that is sticking straight up. You were really happy in the photo. Again thanks so much for taking the time to update us on all your happenings. We are always checking on your status and excited about each detail. Now I know you will be on ship for a longer time attending to your studies. How are the classed going. Do you like them?
PPG

Carol F. said...

Kara...enjoyed reading all your information about your adventures. Lucky you to have gone on a home trip and stayed with a family. I think that is really the way to experience each country you go to. I am not sure if Greg is doing this but hope he gets to experience that too. Hope you enjoy the rest of your experiences.
Carol F.